The blind man
Scene: A blind man is competing in a corporate-sponsored
100-meter dash to help raise funds for charity.
1. No matter how fast he runs during the race, he cannot overtake
the runner in last place who runs very slow. Why?
2. Just before crossing the finish line, he overtakes the runner in
second place but he does not finish the race in first place. Why?
3. Why is the blind man, with his physical disability, able to compete
in the race?
The answers are at the bottom of this page but try to answer these questions
as best as you can before comparing your answers with those given below.
1. The runner cannot overtake a person who is behind him; he can overtake
only a person who is ahead of him.
2. When the blind man overtakes the runner in second place, that runner drops
to third place and the blind man takes over the second place position - he does
not finish first.
3. The runner is blind on his one eye only.